A track record of successful London property projects
Buildings need constant repair but even the smallest jobs involve a number of skills which not every company possesses. NJC Services were approached by Bunn & Co on behalf of the Freeholders to carry out this house renovation project because of our track record of successful outcomes on other building issues in the London area.
Small property repairs with complications
The client wanted their small balcony repaired – a seemingly small property repair.
However, alongside being in a London Conservation area – requiring a planning application, the balcony was defective for a number of reasons including:
- It was old!
- There was a poor connection into the wall
- There were no reinforcing bars
- And there were no support brackets under it.
The balcony was therefore potentially dangerous!
A full service property repair service
The advice included:
- Measured architectural plans and elevations for the conservation area planning application
- Design of new bespoke balcony brackets
- Structural advice on the method for rebuilding the balcony including the specification for the brackets which had to be pre-made
- Management of works.
Project management of the work (management of works)
Once the planning application was successful, NJC Services produced a simple package for pricing by a suitable contractor. Once approved by the client, we oversaw the works on a regular basis and agreed the variations and costs etc.
Even small projects can throw up complications
Another small complication was that the original cast iron railings had rusted heavily and had to be temporarily taken away for refurbishment. Once repaired and treated the cast iron railing were returned to site and reconnected to the external wall and the balcony.
If you think a professional is expensive, wait until your hire an amateur.
A professionally managed property repair always results in a better outcome
The balcony slab, railings and the new brackets have now been secure for a number of years and blend in really well with the surrounding housing stock and adjacent balconies. A good result and a happy client!
Client: Bunn & Co on behalf of the Freeholders
- A building surveyors report for an informed decision
- Combining two retail units under 8 flats required our party wall surveyor services
- Cladding refurbishment for six-storey art deco building in London
- House refurbishment, loft conversion, two-storey side and rear extension
- Office refurbishment: from concept to completion
- Small property repair in London conservation area